Alexandrina & Victor Harbor Public Libraries have been successfully running the Mayors’ Short Story Challenge (MSSC) for four years and would like to invite your school to join the 2014 challenge.
The MSSC has gone from strength to strength, by working closely with all schools, Mayors, Elected members and council staff within our respective districts.
The staff and management of both Alexandrina & Victor Harbor libraries feel that this competition has proven to be a premier event in the regional calendar. It presents an opportunity to connect young people and their school with the library services in the Fleurieu area.
The Mayors’ Short Story Challenge will run throughout Term 2. Entry is open to all school aged children who attend school in the Alexandrina Council & City of Victor Harbor.
$1,000 will be awarded to the school from which the overall winning entry originated. Individual winners from each council will be awarded a $50.00 book voucher for the following categories.
Junior Primary Reception – Yr 3
Senior Primary Yr 4 – Yr 7
Junior Secondary Yr 8 – Yr 10
Mayors Award – Alexandrina $100 Book Voucher
Mayors Award – City of Victor Harbor $100 Book Voucher
Winners from each council region will be announced during Children’s Book Week in August.
· The Mayors’ Short Story Challenge opens on 29 April and closes on 5 July 2014.
· Entry is open to all school aged children who attend school in the City of Victor Harbor & Alexandrina Council.
· All entries must be original and previously unpublished.
· Only 1 entry per person.
· Word limit suggestions Rec – 7 up to 500 words, Years 7 – 10 between 500 – 1000 words.
· Story and Picture Books are acceptable.
· All entries must be accompanied by a completed entry form which has been signed by a teacher.
· Entries will be submitted by class teachers only.
· Email submissions will not be accepted.
· Copyright remains with the author; however, the Victor Harbor Public Library and Alexandrina Libraries reserve the right to publish winning entries on the Councils’ websites, in the local
media and at their discretion.
· Authors should retain a copy of their stories as entries will not be returned.
· Winners will be announced during Children’s Book Week August 2014.
· The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
For any enquiries please contact
Alexandrina Libraries – Trish Muller or Tara Dunstone on 8555 7000
Victor Harbor Public Library – Ben Footner or Tori Williams on 8551 0730